Appendix B consists of The Coach’s Card that Dan and Lee developed in the early 2000s. It consists of a series of processes that Lee could turn to and use on a frequent basis in his roles as an executive at McDonald’s.
Here is one example:
The Solution Leadership Process
Ever been in a meeting and all you hear are excuses? That’s why we developed this one. It will help you stay focused on developing a solution to the issue. It takes a “negative tone” to a “what if tone” in a matter of minutes.
Be Less Certain
- How did I take time to think about the issue before I responded?
- How did I incorporate other people’s ideas into the mix of possible options?
- What was the effect?
Identify the Why Behind the What
- Was the why behind the what? Explain.
- Was it obvious what needed to be done?
- What was the result?
Focus on the Long-Term Impact
- Describe the long-term impact in terms of facts.
- What would other points of view be?
- What are the other options?
- Repeat the process.
What would be a better way to approach this situation in the future?
Return to Chapter-by-Chapter